Monday, June 1, 2009

Traveling Europe 101: Dates and Days and Books


1. What do you want to do

2. How much time do you have

3. Get a(some) reference book(s)

When planning a trip to Europe the first step is to figure out what country you would like to explore and what you want to do: Go to a festival, party like a rock star, see some art, shop, etc? Theoretically and realistically, all of this can be accomplished in the same trip pending on time and locations selected.

Prior to my third trip out to Europe, I wanted to participate in La Tomatina (The Tomato festival). I started planning my trip by finding out the dates of the festival and how many days I would be able to spend in Europe. I then accommodated my destinations around the event and gathered as much information as I could on-line on La Tomatina. The internet is your best friend.

I highly recommend going to the book store or library and start looking at some travel reference books. Europe is a large country and figuring out where to go can be overwhelming. Get familiar with the books and find out which book or books you’re comfortable with. I personally use 2 books. One published by Rick Steves entitled Best of Europe 2006 and the other published by the Lonely Planet entitled Europe on a Shoestring. Every time I travel to Europe, both of these books travel with me. They’re both useful for places to see, places to stay, maps, and how to get to here and there.

No comments: